Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Virtual manipulatives

1.  What did I learn?
 This week we got to play with math software and it  was surprisingly enjoyable.  I really didn't want to stop until I solved all the puzzles (which made paying attention during instruction a bit of a challenge).  I  had the opportunity to explore virtual manipulatives while completing the tech assignment but it never ceases to amaze me how much it out there.  The one thing I'm noticing about the virtual manipulatives I've explored so far is that they are fairly rudimentary.  I haven't seen a really fancy, flashy program as of yet.  Perhaps this is something not necessary for the purpose but we have become so accustomed to fancy, eye-catching graphics I fear some of these may be overlooked as crude or dated?  Then again I suppose that's not really the point.  Even the simple program we were working with was enjoyable and challenging for me so it would certainly be beneficial to implement in a secondary classroom.

2.  What do I have questions about?
What other programs are out there?  What does the research have to say about the successes/shortcomings of implementing math software in the classroom?  Also is it really the same as having an actual 3-D object in your hand that you can hold and move?

3.  What are the implications for classroom practice?
I honestly can't see this being utilized during a lesson involving any sort of lecture.  I had such a hard time putting down the mouse and paying attention when the professor was talking, I can't imagine trying to manage it with a bunch of adolescents.

No comments:

Post a Comment