1. What did I learn?
I learned about geometry and the importance of having a thorough understanding in order to help students think more abstractly and at deeper levels. I thought the point about most teachers being at level one in understanding was a little concerning but not all that surprising. I would put myself in that category.
This week we also experimented with origami and how it can be used to get students thinking about shapes and how to construct them. I thought it was great that we were forced to explain why we knew it was what it was. This was something we probably didn't do in school when we were growing up and it was clearly challenging for most of us.
2. What do I have questions about?
When students are explaining their thinking there are bound to be some who are way off track. How do you deal with students who just aren't grasping the concept without directly saying they're wrong or discrediting their thinking?
3. What are the implications for classroom practice?
In certain subjects it might be ok for the teacher to be learning along with the student. I don't see this being the case in mathematics education because it would seem the teacher needs to have a deeper understanding in order to know how to best bring the students there.
I learned about geometry and the importance of having a thorough understanding in order to help students think more abstractly and at deeper levels. I thought the point about most teachers being at level one in understanding was a little concerning but not all that surprising. I would put myself in that category.
This week we also experimented with origami and how it can be used to get students thinking about shapes and how to construct them. I thought it was great that we were forced to explain why we knew it was what it was. This was something we probably didn't do in school when we were growing up and it was clearly challenging for most of us.
2. What do I have questions about?
When students are explaining their thinking there are bound to be some who are way off track. How do you deal with students who just aren't grasping the concept without directly saying they're wrong or discrediting their thinking?
3. What are the implications for classroom practice?
In certain subjects it might be ok for the teacher to be learning along with the student. I don't see this being the case in mathematics education because it would seem the teacher needs to have a deeper understanding in order to know how to best bring the students there.
No comments:
Post a Comment