Monday, October 18, 2010
And the introduction to phonics begins
I just finally finished the reading for the week and what can I say- I'm a bit overwhelmed. I am fairly certain that I was not taught to read using phonics so it is pretty foreign to me. I am thankful for Fox's book because she outlines everything in a very clear way and her activity suggestions are fantastic. I've seen phonics being taught in the classroom but I've never really understood more than the very basic concepts like letter sounds. There is so much to it and I kind of feel like I am learning to read all over again. The hardest part for me will be the terminology they use like blending for instance. I need to get these terms down so I can take better notes when I am working with kids on literacy. I also feel the need to get all the different strategies down so I have all the tools in my belt to really help my students. Like Fox so aptly puts it, "When you, the teacher, are familiar with the stages and understand the knowledge and abilities that underpin the use of strategies in the different stages, you can make decisions that will help children move from one stage to the next." (20). I feel like I need to have all the terminology and strategies down immediately but I know that is unrealistic and it will come to me as I work with my students and utilize them daily.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment