Monday, October 25, 2010

Bird By Bird

I just finished the reading in Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott and I have to say I think it caused a bit of anxiety in me.  That woman comes off a little neurotic for sure.  Still, I can somewhat relate to some of the things she is saying.  Although I don't know why anyone would ever want to write after listening to her.

Still, some of her points are very valid and her advice is sound.  I think this reading is important in the context of teaching literacy because I think some students get so worked up over what to write or get overly concerned about getting everything right that they can't write at all.  I think we need to teach students  how to write by teaching them to enjoy writing and not think of it as a daunting task to be performed to meet certain ends.  If we place too much emphasis on spelling, punctuation and other semantics of writing we will be increasing childrens anxiety of writing and clearly that is counter productive to the creative process.

In some sick way, Lamott's book makes me want to pick up recreational writing again (not that it is something I have time for at the moment).  I am curious to try her strategies as I have experienced many of the same struggles.  Even sitting down to write this blog is a challenge each week because I know it's accessible to anyone and I have a much harder time then when I am writing a journal for the professor's eyes only.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate how honest you are in your blog posts. I think that this is especially brave because, like you, I am getting used to the public nature of these responses. For many years I have written notes in the margins of students' personal journals. Now I worry that perhaps I, the professor, will mis-spell or mis-punctuate something or perhaps say something less than thoughtful. I want you to know that we're in this together. Fortunately for both of us, we have a very understanding audience. We also have Lamott, who even in her sometimes neurotic state, is giving us permission to write what is true for us - incorrect spelling and all.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny that Lamott strikes you as neurotic...I must say that I was dreading reading Bird by Bird because I recently read another one of her books- Grace, Eventually - and man, she just bugged the heck out of me. It felt like she thinks having a lot of neuroses is hip and cool, so she adopted as many neuroses as she could in an effort to be as hip and cool as possible. Thankfully, Bird by Bird hasn't been too bad for me, and there are some things she says I like quite a bit.

    Anyhow, what I really wanted to comment was your statement: "I think we need to teach students how to write by teaching them to enjoy writing and not think of it as a daunting task to be performed to meet certain ends." I couldn't agree more - in fact, this is something I've been struggling with since I walked into my 4th grade main placement classroom. Part of the problem, I believe, is that no matter how much you tell your students to write from their hearts, or from their experience, or to just write and not worry, that you're being drowned out by the louder voice in their heads telling them they need meet standard, do it right, pass the MSP, please their parents, etc. How, as teachers, do we get them to turn off this running background commentary and just enjoy writing?

    That's the wall I've run up against...have you had similar experiences? I'd love to hear any tips or tricks you have to instill a love of writing in our kids... and thanks for your thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete